24.3.09

First Glance Romance

This is a short story I wrote for class.


I was just beginning to get anxious for the show I was in line for, when it started to rain. Great, this is just what I need. I watched the rain drops fall to the ground and coat the grime on the Seattle sidewalks. This was about the 7th show I had been to so far this month, and even though I still had a few left to go, I was most excited for this one. My favorite band, Taking Back Sunday, was in town, and because of the promise to only play shows with local bands, my next favorite band, From Aphony, was playing along side them. This show was about to be epic. Because the awesomeness of the show was distracting, I wasn’t even looking for hot girls to snag numbers from like I usually did.

But then I saw her.

The funny thing is, looking back on it; I didn’t necessarily find her that attractive. But, there was just something about her. The way vans looked on her, the cute snug way her obnoxiously orange TBS shirt fit her, and the way her golden blonde curly hair fell over her shoulders. Her bright blue eyes seemed to see right through me, even from 30 feet away.
I just needed to know her.

Even though I had a completely better spot in line than she did, I sacrificed it, hoping she’d share her space with me.

She was staring at me the whole time I was walking up to her. What in the world could she be thinking? I thought to myself. I’m pretty average looking; medium shaggy brown hair, big brown eyes. I’m 18 years old, average height and I dress in band tees like 96% of everyone else in line.

“Hey.” I said.

“Hi. What’s up?”

“Besides being super excited for the show? Wanting to know your name.”

“I’m Baylie. And who do I have the pleasure to meet?”

“I’m Rory. Are you here to see TBS?”

“Of course. They’ve been my favorite band since before Seventy Times 7.”

“Wow, not many people know about that. I’m impressed. Have you heard of the opening band, From Aphony?”

“Yeah, I’ve seen them a couple times. They’re pretty good. Is that who you’re here to see?”

“Yeah. Well, TBS and From Aphony are my favorite bands, so this show was pretty much put on for me.”

“I didn’t notice your name on the flyer,” she said with a little laugh.

“Oh, damn. I knew they’d forget the dedication.” I smiled.

“Bummer, maybe you can call me next time you have a show dedicated to you?”

“Oh, of course. But that means I’ll need your number.”

“How about you give me yours? I know not to talk to strangers and you still seem a little strange.” She said with a smirk.

“That’s just how I am. Don’t expect it to change,” I laughed, “but alright. I’ll give you mine only if you promise to put it to use.” I grabbed her phone from her outstretched arm, and punched in my phone number.

“I definitely will, thanks. So have you seen Taking Back Sunday before?”

“Actually, no. I’ve been dying to see them for a while, but they haven’t toured here in a few years. I’m guessing you have seen them Ms. Obnoxious Orange TBS Shirt?”

“You guessed correct. I’d had to have been to a show, considering the fact that I’m marrying Adam Lazzara,” she said with a laugh.

“Sorry to burst your bubble, but I’m pretty sure he has a wife and kid, and I’m almost certain it’s not you. But that sure makes my chances higher.”

“Oh, you think so? We’ll see about that. Yes! The line’s moving. I’m just wondering, but what would you have done if I completely turned you down when you walked up to me, and you had already lost your spot in line?”

“I would still be standing here. I’m not one to give up that easily,” I said with a little too much confidence.
The line moved briskly, and we moved past a Made in Seattle store, as well as a smoke shop. I could begin to hear one of the bands warming up for their set. The distinct sound of a guitar being played a little too loudly, the steady beat of a drummer having a little too much fun, and the low, calming hum of a bass radiating through the amps.

“Little bit cocky, are we? Well for the record, I would never have turned you down.”
We were just at the entrance of the Showbox. The security guards asked for our tickets and then rushed us through the door. The scent of sweaty bodies filled the air surrounding me. I almost didn’t notice it, from being so used to it. The venue was dimly lit, like usual. I followed Baylie up the stairs to the main floor. From Aphony was on the stage setting up their gear. I could feel my excitement growing and told Baylie I’d see her later.

When the show was over, I didn’t have to try very hard to find Baylie. I left her at the beginning of From Aphony’s set, so that I could mosh, but she was surprisingly really close to where I was at the end of Taking Back Sunday’s set. A cute girl who knows how to get her mosh on, I thought with a smile. Despite the fact that I was completely soaked in sweat, and would usually head home to a steaming hot shower, I decided to invite Baylie to a mid-night snack.

“Hey, um Baylie, do you want to go to Dick’s for a milkshake?” I asked, with nerves building up in my stomach.

“Sure, but only if you pick the right Dick’s.” She spoke as a smile rose upon her face.

“Do you think you could give me a hint as to which Dick’s you want to go to?”

“Sure. Your clue is… 10 Things I Hate About You.”

“UW Dick’s?”

“Correct. I’m quite impressed. Let’s go.”

We played a game during the walk back to my truck. She told me it would break the ice. We had to think up secrets to tell each other, but each secret had to relate to the previous secret in some way.

“I’m really, really superstitious… I won’t even walk on the cracks on the sidewalk because I love my mom too much, and of course because she already has a bad back,” she spoke quietly, which caused her to be closer to me. Granted, it was only a few inches, but at that moment, even millimeters mattered.

“I love my mom, but I don’t really have many family values. I kind of feel like family isn’t any different than a stranger you walk past in a crowd. You are born into a family, and supposed to be loved unconditionally, but I feel like I’m only tied to my family by law.”

“My extended family has kind of fallen apart in the last year, and it really sucks. Every holiday we used to spend together is now spent separate. One person’s actions can impact people’s decisions so easily and permanently.”

We were just reaching my truck, and after Baylie’s last secret, I felt the need to create a happy atmosphere again.

“’Best of Me’ or ‘Lasting Impressions’?” I spoke in riddles, using it as a test to see her taste of music.

“That’s a toughie, but I’m going to have to say neither and go with ‘Nothing’s Gonna Stop Us Now’,” a little smile began to show itself.

We listened to The Starting Line as we drove underneath the yellow glow from the streetlights of
downtown Seattle. The rain drip-dropped onto my windshield as if it were washing off any memory of anything before this moment. Time didn’t seem to exist. I know it’s a cliché, but that’s how I was feeling. I had known this girl a little over 3 hours, yet I felt happier and more comfortable with her in 4 minutes than I did in hours with any other girl I knew. Thinking of this made me realize that I didn’t even know where Baylie lived, let alone when our adventure would have to end because of a possible curfew. But I did not want to think about the end of our night, when it was just getting started. We pulled up to the Dick’s by the UW and I parked into one of the diagonal spots up front.

Once we got up to the counter, I told her to order and then proceeded to. We basically ordered the same thing, which made me smile. The only difference was that she got a chocolate shake, when of course, strawberry was the better choice. We sat in my truck as we picked at our food. I am not the type to leave one crumb left from any meal, but I was so caught up in talking to Baylie, that half my food remained on my lap after a very quick 44 minutes had passed.

“My curfew is 2. I live like a half hour from here and it’s 1:21, so I have to leave in a minute,” she said suddenly.

“Alright. Did you drive to the show?”

“Yeah. My car’s parked a few blocks away from the venue. Could you drop me off?”

Oh, could I ever, I thought to myself, any second more with you will make me that much happier.
“Yeah, sure.”

As we were driving back towards the venue, I kept trying to think up ways to make her stay with me. I didn’t want her to leave yet, and I didn’t know what my chances were at making her stay. Should I just drive past the venue and hope she knows that I’m not being creepy? How should I ask? What if she says no? All these thoughts were clouding my mind, so I didn’t even hear what Baylie said.

“You don’t want me to leave, do you?” She asked sweetly.

“To be honest, no. I don’t know what it is about you, but there’s something amazing. I feel like if you leave now, this feeling I have will go away. And believe me, it’s one of the best feelings I’ve ever felt. I want to keep it. I don’t want to lose it so soon. I’ve been trying to think of ways to make you stay, and I-I don’t know, I know you probably think I’m some creepy,”

“I don’t find you creepy at all,” she interrupted, “I completely understand what you’re feeling. That’s why I’m not going home.” A huge smile showed up on her face.

“But you… wait, you’re not?! What about your parents?”

“Look, I don’t know what I’m feeling, and I know I barely know you, but what you said makes sense to me. And right now, I don’t really care what I’m feeling. All I care about is that I’m feeling something. There’s something here, and I’m risking, no I’m CHOOSING to get in trouble so I can spend more time with you and try to figure this entire thing out. So just shut up, and tell me where our adventure is taking us next.”

In that moment, everything fell into place. I knew the chance that this night may be the last time I saw this girl. But right then, I didn’t really care. All I wanted was to be with her till the sun rose up into the sky. And I guess that’s how you know. When everything feels like nothing and nothing feels like everything. And half the time, you don’t know what you’re feeling. But that’s half the fun of falling in love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stumble Upon